Monday 10 November 2008

MFK FISHER

I thought I knew my food writers. I know all about Elizabeth David, Claudia Roden, Anna del Conte, and Jane Grigson. I read cookbooks until I know them back to front and inside out. I subscribe to the Donna Hay magazine and whenever I find a well stocked newsagent the latest issues of Gourmet and bon appétit will inevitably come home with me (and more often than not Martha Stewart Living, one of my guilty pleasures). But somehow, I had never read any MFK Fisher. In fact I had never even heard of MFK Fisher until Gourmet became a regular rather than an occasional purchase, until Orangette became one of my favourite blogs, until I had read and loved all of Ruth Reichl's books. A few weeks ago I bought The Art of Eating from a seller in the States. I have been picking out sections to read one at a time. Taking time over each one and absorbing her writing. I can now see why she is a legend in the States the question is why isn't she better known here?

8 comments:

carine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carine said...

I had never heard of her before either but she looks evry interesting. 'How To Cook A Wolf' might be an appropriate volume for the current climate... x

Jeanne said...

Never heard of her either - so you are not alone in your ignorance!! Will definitely look for some of her stuff now.

Sam said...

I've never heard of her either, your not alone!

The Stay At Home Son said...

Ahh, yes. MFKF. Pretty classic. I love to hate her pretentiousness, but came to love, love, love her blessed adoration of food and how she wove a story. She also wrote about aging, amid other things. I love her.

Gemma said...

That's a relief and confirms the feeling I had that she just isn't that well known in the UK.

Carine - are Crombies selling wolf now or is that more of a Bower's specialty!

Nice to see you warm bunny. I'll be checking out your blog, looks great.

Gemma x

Keetha said...

Oh, isn't she the best!

You may also enjoy Laurie Colwin's essays about food.

Gemma said...

Hi Keetha, I have read Laurie Colwin's books (another find through US blogs) and I really enjoyed them so would also heartily recommend these to anyone curious about other food writers.

Gemma x