Tuesday 4 November 2008

CHEESE ON TOAST WITH MUSTARD AND THYME



I have a long list of blogs that I read regularly, some are friends, some are fellow food bloggers that I have met online, and then there are the others, that list of bloggers who just do it better. I am hooked on Shauna and Molly's writing and photography, inspired by Heidi's delicious ingredients, and that is just for starters.

One of the other blogs I always check is Luisa's and this week she has also signed up for NaBloPoMo so I am enjoying the daily read. Yesterday she caught my attention with cheese on toast with thyme and mustard. It popped into the recipe corner of my brain and may have stayed there lost and forgotten among the endless stews, cakes, and cookies if it hadn't been for Chris saying he fancied soup and toast for dinner tonight which brought it sharply back into focus.

I bought a glorious smelling loaf of roast garlic bread, some cave aged gruyere, and fresh thyme on my way home. A short while later I pulled a tub of last week's soup out of the freezer, put it into a pan with a little extra water to defrost and got on with the toasting. Four slices of bread were grilled on one side then turned over, I spread a smidgeon of butter onto the untoasted side along with a scraping of dijon mustard, sprinkled on some thyme leaves and then finally added a blanket of grated gruyere. This was put back under the grill until the cheese was melted and bubbling. This will be made again and I'm already trying to think of a reworking with goats cheese and honey, one of my favourite cheese combinations. Thanks Luisa.

3 comments:

Cerebrum said...

Saw these too, looked mighty good - as do yours. There are so many food blogs out there to get hooked on, Luisa's blog is definetly one of my favorites too :)

Jeanne said...

Mmm, mustardy cheese toasties and soup are a hot Sunday night favourite in our house - next time I'll pimp the cheese a little and add thyme. They look delicious! Don't know Luisa's blog but will go and check it out now - NaBloPoMo foodies unite!

Gemma said...

Hi fellow NaBloPoMo-ers... Great to see you both, us crazy 30 day foodies have to stick together!

Gemma x