Tuesday 22 January 2013

I MAY BE SOME TIME

I always say that I'm a fast reader but not an especially careful one. I joke about it, say it's nice to leave a few surprises to discover on the reread of books I enjoy, and on the reread and reread and reread of books I really enjoy and which end up as my companions for days when I don't want the new, just the comfort of familiar characters, familiar worlds, familiar twists and turns, but the truth is that when I'm absorbed in a book I'm torn between being desperate to discover what happens and desperate for the story to just keep going.

I started reading A Game of Thrones last week. I borrowed it before Christmas, opened it on Tuesday night to read a few pages before going to sleep, and eventually went to sleep about 100 pages later.  I finished the first book on Sunday and started the second yesterday. Sorry other books, I may be some time...

4 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I read in a very similar way. Paul sometimes makes little whimpering noises when I pick up a new book, which he says is the book being scared of the beating it is about to get!

Nora said...

Oh yes, me too. I race through them, and then find that I've missed out a few important details. I also forget them really quickly - another advantage when it comes to the reread, though! And Game of Thrones are just the kind of book you have to race through to find out what happens next. I think I've been probably been missing out entire paragraphs to get to the action!

Gemma said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

claire said...

just started book 5, sneakily hidden on my kindle propped up behind my hard drive at work. hey, it's a friday!