Sunday 27 June 2010

BASIL BISCUITS

What do you do on the hottest day of the year so far?

Do you find a nice shady spot outside to sit with a cool drink and read your book?

Do you find some water to paddle or swim?

Do you meet friends for a picnic in the park or a pint in a beer garden?

Or do you spend the afternoon watching football?

Do you put the oven on to make your already warm flat even hotter?

Do you question your sanity?

I don't think I need to go into how I spent my afternoon?

But this morning?

This morning I went to the market and found strawberries and fresh peas, tiny baby carrots and little bitty beetroots.

And the oven part isn't really all that crazy because what else am I supposed to do when I have been thinking about basil biscuits all week and imagining them with strawberries and maybe a smear of loosely whipped cream?

They had to be made, they just had to be.

And, after watching the football the need for something sweet and crunchy giving way to soft richness and fresh red ripeness was even more apparent. Thankfully the making part took just a few minutes, the baking part about 12 and the eating part?



Lets just say, that didn't take too long either.

BASIL BISCUITS (from Jekka's Herb Cookbook by Jekka McVicar)
Makes 15-20

100g butter
50g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
100g plain flour
1 heaped tablespoon of chopped basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 180C (gas mark 4).

Cream together the butter and sugar and add the ground almonds then the flour. Knead together on a lightly floured surface to form a dough. Roll the dough in the chopped basil leaves until the leaves are well mixed into the dough and then roll it out into a 5cm diameter sausage. Slice into 1 cm thick slices.

Place the slices on a well greased baking sheet lined with non-stick baking parchment. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove at once and cool on a wire rack.

Eat on their own or with a dollop of lightly whipped cream and some strawberries.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to make these at once!! I have just made tomato jam and I think they'd go great with it, thanks!

http://cocinadelina.blogspot.com/2010/06/tomato-jam.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Gemma, I did make these and they are absolutely gorgeous...so short! And they were wonderful with the tomato jam...

Gemma said...

Emmalene - I am so pleased you liked them. I will definitely use the base recipe again, so easy and delicious. I really want to get the book now.

Gemma x

Jessica said...

Interesting ingredients...I would have never imagined basil and strawberries. I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing with us!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Maddie said...

How cool! I'm about to roast peaches with basil, and I'm sure these biscuits would be awesome with strawberries. A unique combination, but sometimes those are the best kind. :)

rebekka said...

Strawberries and basil are among my most favorite of combinations. Yay!!!