Tuesday 10 November 2009

EVERY CLOUD...

After sitting on the bus home for almost an hour on a cold evening and walking up five flights of stairs I usually prefer to stay put once I get home. I try to buy food for dinner on my way back and if I've forgotten something then mostly I just ignore it and hope it doesn't really matter.

But this all hinges on one thing.

Knowing what to have for dinner? The supermarket having everything I need?

No, it hinges on not leaving my wallet sitting on top of a pile of magazines in the flat when I leave for work in the morning.

I think you can see where this is going?

So, having realised that I would be spending the day without money I gave thanks to the invention of cashless canteens and hoped I had enough on my card to cover lunch and then started planning a storecupboard dinner.

I sweated a leek in butter and a little water over a low heat for about 15 minutes before stirring through some fresh thyme. I cooked some pasta in chicken stock (not home made, my storecupboard is rarely, if ever, that organised) and, when it was cooked, stirred through the leeks, a knob of butter and some freshly ground black pepper.

Apparently good things can come out of a spot of absent mindedness.

2 comments:

Nora said...

Mmm, that sounds pretty tasty. I love meals like that, where you rustle something up out of nothing and it turns out to be really good! Makes me feel like a proper chef. :D

Gemma said...

Hi Nora - I know, I love it when these kind of things work out just right.

Gemma x