Wednesday 29 October 2008

ROASTED SWEET POTATO FALAFEL

Leon, for those of you who don’t know, is the culinary fast food saviour for anyone who lives, works, or frequently visits central London. When I first moved my favourite was the aioli chicken with summer slaw and basmati rice, a few months later the moroccan meatballs had moved to the top. At the moment it is (or was, see below) all about the roasted sweet potato falafel wrap. Mildly spiced sweet potato falafels with crunchy slaw, a big slice of pickle, and aioli wrapped up in a flatbread and all for £3.20. Bargain. So, when I realised that there was a cookbook with all the best Leon recipes ready for making and eating at home I pounced. I had been planning on making a sweet potato and goats cheese spoon bread that has been bookmarked forever but my Amazon parcel arrived and I was easily swayed, as I so often am.



I baked the sweet potatoes and managed to resist the temptation to just eat them as they were (I’m more than a little addicted to baked sweet potato at the moment), mixed the flesh with some cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, pepper, and gram flour, formed the sticky mix into (and I quote) ‘falafelly type things’, sprinkled them with sesame seeds, and baked for 15 minutes. We munched them in pitas with salad and houmous.

I decided to head to Leon again for lunch today. They’ve started serving the new Winter menu (maybe they were waiting for the first snow) and I’m now doubly glad I got my last fix for dinner as sweet potato falafel are off the menu. It was a halloumi and sweet chilli wrap for me. Oh well, it was a pretty good substitute and I can always get my falafelly fix at home.

As a little side note if you do make this or any other baked sweet potato dish can I suggest putting the sweet potato skins back in the oven for a few minutes with a little sprinkle of sea salt and eating them as a pre dinner snack? They will get stuck in your teeth but that doesn't matter.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I've heard of Leon and thought it sounded good. Sweet potato falafel sounds really good, I might have to buy the book!

Gemma said...

Leon is great Sam, just a reliable place to pop in for a quick bite to eat any time of the day and feel like you are actually eating something worth eating.

Gemma x

Anonymous said...

I love love love Leon's sweet potato falafels! I would love to experiment with their recipe. Have you tried anything else from the cook book? I might just have to buy it before I head back to the states.

Gemma said...

Hi aromy. I only got the book last week so haven't tried anything else yet but am tempted by loads. I think I'll be trying the chocolate brownies soon as I am gradually becoming addicted to them.

Gemma x