Saturday 10 February 2007

A MUSHROOM SANDWICH



I quite often buy a loaf of sourdough bread from our local bakery, Circle, on a Saturday morning and today was no exception. This bakery is one of the reasons that I love our flat, the sourdough is great and they make the most buttery croissants and the most perfect baguettes that I have tasted outside of France. I popped the bread into my bag and jumped on a bus up the road to go and buy a few food magazines. As I was buying the new issue of Donna Hay's magazine my mind started to drift towards lunch and, as I just happened to be in the Harvey Nichols food hall, I decided that one of the field mushrooms on display would be perfect for mushrooms on toast. However, as I walked back down the hill that didn't seem quite right. By the time I had got back to the kitchen a mushroom sandwich idea had formed. I sliced the giant beast of a mushroom and fried it in some butter, while this was cooking I bashed up half a garlic clove with some sea salt, stirred in some mayonnaise (Hellman's) and then on a whim a little dijon mustard. I laid out two slices of bread, put mushrooms on one side, slathered on half of the mayonnaise, added a few oak leaf lettuce leaves, more mushrooms and then the rest of the mayonnaise on the other slice of bread. I put it all together, sliced into two and ate. I had already decided that this would taste good but it was better than I had imagined, I kept having to dodge the buttery mushroom juices that were dripping onto my plate but that was definitely no bad thing.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

That sandwich looks so good - and so simple! I made ham and cheese panini yesterday, with proscuitto, fontina, red onion and black pepper, and they were nice too. Sandwiches can be really good (I'm not referring to the ready-made varieties).

Keep posting - I'm enjoying your blog!

Kathryn

Freya said...

Gemma, one of my favourite fillings for a sandwich! Mushrooms and bread are so satisfying! My favourite is the Nigella recipe in Nigel Slaters Appetite (I think its that book). Its so good!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Oh, yum! Now my mouth's watering.....

Anonymous said...

It looks so goog !