Monday 8 August 2011

HOW TO BE A WOMAN

Have you read Caitlin Moran's How To Be a Woman? I bought it after reading this piece on Project Subrosa, starting it yesterday morning, sitting in London, drinking coffee, nodding in agreement, laughing. I finished it on the train late last night, trundling back to Edinburgh, thankful that I share my life with someone who doesn't assume that keeping the flat clean is my job (which is useful as I'm not terribly good at the whole tidiness thing), but still recognising myself in so much of this book, this conversation about why we make life so hard for ourselves and for each other. It reminded me why it is so important to say that we, each and every single one of us, men and women, are feminists, because if we say we aren't then we say we don't care about our rights, our rights to vote, to speak, to write, to think.

1 comment:

Alicia Foodycat said...

I heard her interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. The book sounded so useful! I am so pleased people are standing up and saying "I am a feminist" after so many years of "I'm not a feminist but..."